The Kaua’i Humane Society is now able to offer low-cost medical exams to pet-owners at our Community Care Center, but we encourage all pet owners to establish a relationship with one of Kaua’i’s private vet clinics.
We do offer the following limited veterinary services to the public:
LOW COST VACCINE, MICROCHIP, FLEA & DEWORMER TREATMENT CLINICS
KHS offers low-cost vaccine and microchip clinics:
Every Tuesday from 10 a.m. to noon and
The first Saturday of the month from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Puppy DA2PP: $20
Disclaimer: This vaccines does not include leptospirosis protection.
Adult Dog DA2PP4L: $20.00
(K9 Distemper-Adenovirus, Type 2 Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, Leptospira Canicola, Grippotyphosa, Icterohaemorrhagiae, Pomona Bacterin)
All dogs should receive this vaccine annually. If you have an adult dog with no previous vaccine history, your dog should receive a second administration of this vaccine in 2-4 weeks. The DA2PP (no lepto version) vaccine is given to dogs under 9 weeks of age. This vaccine is given every 2-4 weeks until 4 months of age and then once annually.
Puppies and Adult Dogs Bordetella: $20.00
(K9 Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Bordetella, Bronchiseptica Vaccine)
All dogs who frequent areas where other dogs might be present such as a kenneling facility should be vaccinated every 6 months.
Cats and Kittens FVRCP: $20.00
(Feline Rhinotracheitis, Calici, Panleukopenia Vaccine)
All Cats should receive this vaccine annually. If you have an adult cat with no previous vaccine history, your cat should receive a second administration of this vaccine in 2-4 weeks. For Kittens, this vaccine is given every 2-4 weeks until 4 months of age and then annually.
Dogs or Cats Strongid: $15.00
Oral dewormer treatment for intestinal parasites, such as roundworms and hookworms.
All pets should receive regular deworming treatment monthly if frequenting areas where other animals may be present.
Flea Treatment: $15 for a single, month-long dose
(Frontline for dogs or cats)
This flea and tick treatment is a preventative for topical parasites and will be administered by a vet tech at the clinic.
Microchip Identification: $20.00
This form of identification is implanted just under the skin for permanent identification of your pet. This is not a GPS tracker and does not function with location monitoring. Your information as the registered owner will be attached to the microchip so that if your pet is found without you, we may be able to reunite you. Any pet over 4 weeks old can be microchipped and current County of Kaua`i legislation requires all pets over 3 months of age to have a microchip.
LOW COST COMMUNITY CARE CENTER
The Kaua`i Humane Society will now begin offering low-cost medical exams to pet-owners on a walk-in basis every Tuesday and Sunday between the hours of 12:30-5 p.m. We will still offer our weekly vaccine clinics by appointment. (See “low cost vaccine, microchip, flea & dewormer treatment clinics” above).
The Community Care Center is able to offer preventative care and treatment of conditions that are non-life threatening.
Open Every Tuesday and Sunday
Vaccines Only 10 a.m. – noon
Walk-In Exams 12:30 – 5 p.m.
Puppy: vaccine series, flea/tick preventatives, heartworm test, heartworm preventative, deworming, microchip – $200
Dog: vaccine, flea/tick preventative, heartworm test, heartworm preventative, deworming – $110
Kitten: vaccine series, flea/tick preventatives, deworming, microchip – $150
Cat: vaccine, flea/tick preventative, deworming – $65
Senior: complete blood chemistry, heartworm test (for dogs), Reagent Strip (for cats), flea/tick preventative, deworming – $75
Nail Trimming – $20-$30
Ear Cleaning – $20
Anal Gland Expression – $30
Microchipping – $20
FVRCP, Bordetella, or DA2PP/4L Vaccine – $20
Dewormer – $15
Flea/Tick Preventative (monthly) – $15
Heartworm Testing – $20
FIV/FeLV Testing – $40
Parvovirus Testing – $20
Panleukopenia Testing – $20
Fecal Float (for parasites) – $20
Skin Scrape (for mange and other diseases) – $20
Wood’s Lamp (for ringworm) – $20
Ear Diagnosis – $20
Blood Work – $40-$60
Rabies Vaccine and Certificate – $40
Health Exam and Certificate – $60
Landlord Health Exam – $10
Other services and tests provided as needed.
This program is provided by a grant from PetSmart Charities.
LOW COST SPAY AND NEUTER
The Kaua’i Humane Society is proud to offer low-cost spay/neuter services for pet cats and dogs.
Our low-cost spay/neuter clinic is by appointment only.
- Drop off is between 8-9 a.m.
- Pick-up is between 4-5 p.m.
- Dogs must arrive on a leash.
- Cats must arrive in an enclosed carrier.
- Small animals must arrive in an enclosed carrier.
- Cats must be at least two pounds, two months, and in good health. Dogs must be at least three months old. Please see your regular vet prior to scheduling surgery if you have any health concerns. KHS reserves the right to deny surgery to any animal.
- Must have a microchip (one can be purchased and implanted during surgery).
- Surgery must be paid for in advance and is Non-Refundable
- Rescheduling must be done 48 hours in advance or a $20 rescheduling fee will apply. Rescheduled appointments must be within 3 months of the original appointment.
- We strongly recommend your pet be current on vaccines. (Vaccinations and flea/tick prevention can be added for additional fees.)
- Cat Spay/Neuter: $50
- Female Dog Spay (under 50 lbs): $85
- Female Dog Spay (over 50 lbs): $125
- Male Dog Neuter: $85
- Microchip – $20
- Vaccines – $20
- Small Animals (rabbits and guinea pigs only): $50
Please email email@example.com for availability of small animal spay and neuters. Mahalo!
Spay/Neuter fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Funding assistance for qualified individuals may be available through our Spay Neuter Assistance Program SNAP). Please download the application here and submit the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
REMEMBER… spaying and neutering reduces unwanted pregnancies and pet overpopulation!!
MOM & PUPS PACKAGE
Kaua`i Humane Society (KHS) takes in thousands of homeless animals a year and believes the best way to decrease the homeless pet population is through spay and neuter. However, KHS also recognizes that not every pet owner may be ready to spay and neuter at this time and may also be considering breeding their beloved canine.
KHS would like to assist new breeders by offering medical help that will not only keep the puppies healthy, but also the mother dog.
Best Breeding Practices:
- Wait to breed until the female dog has had at least two estrus (aka heat) cycles
- Have the first litter before the age of five
- Skip at least one estrus cycle between breeding
- Do not breed more than four times
Things to keep in mind when breeding:
- A dog is pregnant for approximately 63 days
- Breed with another dog that balances your dog’s flaws (look at behavior and health)
- Provide additional food for the mom while she is nursing
- Identify a quiet and clean space for the mother dog to nurse
- Be prepared to feed puppies if the mother dog won’t (do not give cow milk)
- Have a plan for all the puppies that are born (that does not include surrendering them)
- Keep puppies with mother and siblings till eight weeks of age
- Be prepared for the increase in medical costs for raising puppies
- Dogs are individuals and “like father, like son” does not necessarily always apply
How KHS will help:
- $20 health exam for the mother dog to determine health and counsel on pregnancy
- Exam fee waived if medical care is needed
- Free puppy exam at 8 weeks of age
- 50% off dewormer and first vaccine for puppies at 8 weeks of age
- $25 spay/neuter for any or all of the puppies
*Optional free spay of the mother dog after her first litter
Breeding is time consuming, costly, and occasionally heartbreaking. Let us help you with your purposeful and responsible breeding.
To learn more about this program, please visit our Tuesday Community Care Center. Walk-ins are welcome between 12:30-5 p.m. every Tuesday.
END OF LIFE SERVICES
The Kaua’i Humane Society understands that having a pet come to the end of their time with us is very difficult. We are here to help you in this difficult time. We offer end of life services including owner-requested euthanasia as well as single and group cremations. Please phone us (808-632-0610) or email email@example.com to learn more.
|Animal Weight||Single Cremation||Multi Cremation|
|Pets Under 15lbs||$150.00||$50.00|
|Pets 16 – 30lbs||$200.00||$95.00|
|Pets 31 – 50lbs||$250.00||$135.00|
|Pets 51 – 100lbs||$300.00||$200.00|
|Pets 100lbs and Up||$350.00||$225.00|
KHS offers an animal remains pick-up service to accompany KHS’s cremation service. KHS understands that the loss of a companion is a difficult time and KHS would like to assist pet owners through this process by assisting with the transport of their beloved pet’s remains to the crematorium.
Pick-up charges based on distance from KHS:
$50 for locations within 10 miles of KHS
$100 for locations within 10-20 miles of KHS
$150 for locations over 20 miles of KHS
Pick-up charges do not include charges for cremation.
Individual Cremation: When you choose Individual Cremation, your pet is placed in the crematory chamber separated from other pets. When the cremation process is complete you will receive the remains of only your pet. Your pet will be returned to you in a wooden urn adorned with a paw print.
Communal Cremation: When you choose Communal Cremation your pet is placed in the crematory chamber with other pets and no separation. Once the cremation process is complete, no ashes will be returned to you.
Biodegradable Burial Pods $150: Burial Pods allow the pet owner to bury their pet close to home. Your pet can be arranged in the pod with their favorite toys and treats. The pods are biodegradable and eco-friendly. A flower seed packet is included to be scattered above the burial plot to grow in remembrance.
Clay Paw Print: $25
Memory Frame: $50
KHS has partnered with the 3D Gift to create everlasting unique crystals with your pet’s photo etched inside – a beautiful way to memorialize your pet. KHS receives a portion of proceeds from every sale using our unique link. Click the button below to access the link and browse the many options to create a beautiful and unique forever piece of art in memory of your loved one.