Field Trips for Shelter Dogs
Exploring Kaua’i and Missing your 4-legged friend?
TAKE A SHELTER DOG ON A FIELD TRIP AND GET YOUR DOGGIE FIX!
KHS is pleased to offer our Field Trip program to visitors and locals alike! Enjoy the natural beauty of the Garden Island, get your “dog fix,” and give a shelter dog a break from the kennels all at the same time!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Come to the shelter during our pick up hours, let our staff match you with an appropriate field trip buddy, and then off you go! A minimum donation of $40 is requested to help defer the costs of running the field trip program and making sure all our amazing Kaua’i dogs have everything they need while waiting for their forever homes.
- Pick up: 11-1pm
- Return by 5pm
Be sure you bring your pup back by the designated return hours as a late fee of $50 will be charged for any animals returned after 5pm.
WHERE CAN I TAKE MY DOG FOR THE DAY?
We’ll give you some advice depending on where to go on the day of your adventure, depending on the dog you choose and the weather outside. Suggestions often include:
- Moalepe/Kuilau Trail
- Loop Road/Wailua Arboretum
- Kapaa Coastal Path
- Secrets Beach — please be cautious of local sea birds nesting near the hiking trail and be careful of the hike down after rains
- Mahaulepu Beach — please be cautious of local sea birds nesting nearby
- Kalapaki Beach
- Paths around the golf course behind Marriott Lihue
- Kukuiolono Golf Course Path
- Kekaha Beach
- Sleeping Giant Trail — please do not visit Sleeping Giant after a rain as the trail can get very slick!
Most beaches allow dogs unless they are county-maintained beaches or parks. Kapa`a Beach Path is the only exception.
- Participant must be at least 18 years old
- Liability waiver must be signed.
- Your credit card number will be charged a $200 deposit in the event the dog is not returned.
- Dogs must be transported in an enclosed vehicle and must be tethered to the seats (no riding in an open convertible or in the open bed of a truck).
- Dogs must be on leash at all times. Please do not introduce your shelter dog to other dogs you meet on your field trip. NO EXCEPTIONS.
FIELD TRIP PHOTOS
- Did you take photos during your field trip? We would love to share them on social media! Please email us at email@example.com.