Field Trips for Shelter Dogs
Are you bored at home? Do you need to get out of the house? Could you use the companionship of a four-legged friend?
TAKE A SHELTER DOG ON A FIELD TRIP AND GET YOUR DOGGIE FIX!
KHS is pleased to announce the resumption of our Field Trip program! Enjoy the natural beauty of the Garden Island, get your “dog fix,” and give a shelter dog a break from the kennels all at the same time!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Sign-up online, schedule your pickup time, let our staff match you with an appropriate field trip buddy, and then off you go! A non-refundable donation of $40 is requested to help defer the cost of running the field trip program and making sure all our amazing Kaua’i dogs have everything they need while waiting for their forever homes.
The Kauai Humane Society is happy to invite Kauai Kama’aina to participate in our field trip program for a discounted minimum donation of $20.00!
- Pick up: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Return between 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please keep in mind that a late fee of $100.00 will be charged to your card on file for any late returns.
WHERE CAN I TAKE MY DOG FOR THE DAY?
We’ll give you some advice depending on where to go on the day of your adventure, depending on the dog you choose and the weather outside. Suggestions often include:
- Moalepe/Kuilau Trail
- Loop Road/Wailua Arboretum
- Kapaa Coastal Path
- Secrets Beach — please be cautious of local sea birds nesting near the hiking trail and be careful of the hike down after rains
- Mahaulepu Beach — please be cautious of local sea birds nesting nearby
- Kalapaki Beach
- Paths around the golf course behind Marriott Lihue
- Kukuiolono Golf Course Path
- Kekaha Beach
- Sleeping Giant Trail — please do not visit Sleeping Giant after a rain as the trail can get very slick!
Most beaches allow dogs unless they are county-maintained beaches or parks. Kapa`a Beach Path is the only exception.
- Participant must be at least 18 years old
- Liability waiver must be signed.
- Your credit card number will be charged a $200 deposit in the event the dog is not returned.
- Dogs must be transported in an enclosed vehicle and must be tethered to the seats (no riding in an open convertible or in the open bed of a truck).
- Dogs must be on leash at all times. Please do not introduce your shelter dog to other dogs you meet on your field trip. NO EXCEPTIONS.
FIELD TRIP PHOTOS
- Did you take photos during your field trip? We would love to share them on social media! Please email us at email@example.com.