The Maintenance Technician at the Kauai Humane Society (KHS) is responsible for the overall maintenance and safety of the KHS physical property, including the KHS shelter facility, the BloomingTails thrift store, all KHS vehicles, and the incinerator.
Basic to intermediate knowledge of multiple areas is required for this role including, but not limited to: electrical, mechanical, construction, landscaping, and plumbing. The candidate must be dependable, hardworking, detail-oriented and should expect to perform most maintenance themselves.
**Candidates already living on Kauai or candidates who have already established secured housing on Kauai within the next 2 weeks are strongly preferred and will be given first consideration for the position.**
Maintenance Technician Qualifications:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent preferred, suitable work experience in lieu of education considered for adults over 18 years of age.
- Valid Hawaii Driver’s license, or valid out-of-state license, with a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application is required.
- Basic, intermediate preferred, knowledge of electrical, mechanical, construction, landscaping, and plumbing is strongly preferred.
- Comfort and respect around dogs and cats of all sizes is expected (though handling of animals themselves is not required).
Maintenance Technician Role and Responsibilities:
- Provides maintenance personally, for a variety of projects, examples including, but not limited to:
- Drilling and setting portals into stainless steel animal kennels
- Removal/installation of ventilation systems
- Removal/installation of motors for various machines in the facility, including but not limited to: bone grinding machine for pet cremations, electrical generators, industrial washers/dryers, etc.
- Reads blueprints efficiently; this skill is needed for projects such as:
- overseeing installation of essential items like the septic system or well house pump
- Ensuring fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and other safety referral tools and stations are up to code, identifiable on all documents/maps, and appropriately stocked with items or instructions
- Ensures timely preventative maintenance cycles to prolong the life of existing components of the shelter
- Inspects building’s structures to determine the need for repairs or renovations
- Ensures property’s well water system is properly chlorinated making it safe for animal consumption
- Controls activities such as waste disposal, large metal items recycling, dump site visits, etc.
- Ensures the KHS vehicles are well maintained and serviced on time
- Responds when needed in urgent situations (i.e., no water at the shelter, septic back ups etc.), including weekends and holidays
- Other duties as assigned
Maintenance Technician Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend, and stoop frequently and daily to perform duties.
- Must be able to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: hourly wage of $18-$20/hr commensurate with experience