Kauai Humane Society
Part-Time Volunteer Outreach Coordinator
The Kauai Humane Society (KHS) seeks a highly organized, outgoing, people-oriented candidate to recruit, train and supervise volunteers. This role will assist with scheduling volunteers for community outreach events and activities, and building volunteer opportunities at KHS. The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator requires high-level program coordinating abilities, as well as skills in handling shelter animals of varying temperaments and sizes in order to guide and match volunteers into long-lasting roles while growing a sustainable volunteer base and overall program. The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator role is a part-time position and includes competitive benefits.
**Candidates already living on Kauai or candidates who have already established secured housing on Kauai within the next 2 weeks are strongly preferred and will be given first consideration for the position.**
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Qualifications:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent preferred, suitable work experience in lieu of education considered; college degree is strongly preferred.
- Animal handling and/or animal welfare industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Competency with computers, Microsoft Office or Google Suite of products, and online database programs, (examples being volunteer program software, appointment scheduling programs, and animal shelter software), is required.
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Essential Job Functions:
- Actively recruit and onboard volunteers while maintaining a volunteer database of all records.
- Oversee volunteer activities for events both offsite and at shelter locations.
- Manage all volunteer department email, phone, and other contact channels to maintain clear and consistent communications with volunteers, staff, and community stakeholders.
- Compose and design volunteer newsletters for established timeframes.
- Foster a spirit of collaboration and teamwork between staff and volunteers by identifying volunteer job roles across the organization’s departments.
- Create or write volunteer job roles that benefit KHS operations and animal needs.
- Provide excellent customer service and support to ensure volunteers feel welcome, recognized, and valued.
- Provide direction to current and prospective volunteers by serving as first-line support should a volunteer issue arise.
- Lead the resolution on issues in a positive and productive manner.
- Ensure workplace safety for volunteers by identifying risks, understanding their impact, and updating and promoting policies and procedures that will minimize or eliminate those risks.
- Maintain appropriate safety and liability waivers for all volunteers.
- Assist in Humane Education activities such as “Critter Camps” and “Book Tails”.
- Must be able to deal with an emotionally charged public and carry a fast-paced and changing workload which at times can be stressful.
- Must agree to work in an environment and understands that, by nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to injured, sick, deceased, and/or difficult animals with varying health concerns.
- Perform other duties or projects as assigned.
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work with both dogs and cats of varying sizes, breeds, and temperaments.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is strongly preferred.
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently daily to perform duties.
- Must be able to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
- Must be able to chase or run after animals that might escape confinement.
Wage range is $17 – $19 per hour commensurate with experience.