The Kauai Humane Society, Kauai’s only open admission animal shelter, seeks a veterinary technician to join our medical team. Part-time and Full-time positions are available. Our medical team is responsible for ensuring the health of all animals within the shelter. Veterinary technicians are responsible for health checks, administering medications and vaccines, intaking animals into the shelter, ensuring the veterinarians know when an animal is injured or ill, and monitoring anesthesia for animals undergoing surgery.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for examining and processing animals received by the KHS, which includes properly completing necessary paperwork.
- Maintain proper identification and records on all KHS animals.
- Administer vaccinations and completes preliminary physical examinations in a prescribed manner. Medicate any animal designated for treatment by the Staff Veterinarian.
- Assist in conducting behavior assessments and health screenings on incoming animals.
- Examine animals and prescribe treatments according to standard and established treatment protocols or as directed by the shelter veterinarian.
- Input exam results and diagnosis/treatment into an online database (ShelterLuv) and complete animal medical records.
- As necessary, take temperature, collect blood and fecal samples. Perform diagnostic tests as directed.
- Create medication charts and prepare medications for shelter animals.
- Perform or assist with the euthanasia and disposal of animals in accordance with established laws and KHS policy.
- Administer pharmaceuticals such as medications and vaccines by intramuscular and subcutaneous injection or oral ingestion.
- Assist shelter veterinarian with procedures and monitoring anesthesia for surgeries.
- Bathe and groom animals as requested or needed.
- Work closely with staff in other departments as needed to maintain the health of shelter and adopted animals.
- Maintain clean and sanitary work areas.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Work Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of domestic animals including dog and cat breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing, and handling techniques.
- Ability to effectively perform a baseline physical exam on an animal with knowledge of normal and abnormal findings.
- Ability to control and safely handle pharmaceuticals used in the care and handling of animals and disinfectants in the cleaning and disinfecting of animal habitats.
- Ability to get along and work effectively with the public, management, fellow employees, volunteers, and other agencies and groups. Ability to communicate well and with cultural sensitivity with these groups.
- Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as GMail, Google Shared Drive and Docs. Ability to learn ShelterLuv, an animal shelter database program.
- Ability to follow a prescribed list of responsibilities with some flexibility. Must be able to adjust to variations when needed.
- Ability to work well under pressure without direct supervision and maintain attention to detail.
- Weekend and early evening shifts will be expected.
- $14-15/hour depending on experience.