The Kauai Humane Society (KHS), the island’s only open intake animal shelter, seeks an Animal Care Technician to perform feeding, cleaning, and enrichment care to the cats and dogs at Kauai Humane Society. This position requires working positively and proactively in a team environment with other Animal Care Technicians to ensure cleaning procedures are performed with precision and following all sanitation protocols. The Animal Care Technician role requires a person dedicated to hard work and attention to detail to ensure the animals at Kauai Humane Society receive the highest level of care, starting with clean kennels, appropriate feeding and enrichment, and exercise and socialization. The role of Animal Care Technician is key to helping our animals stay physically and mentally healthy until they find adoptive homes or rescue placement.
Roles and Responsibilities
Essential Job Functions:
- Rinses, scrubs, mops, and disinfects animal cages, hallways, floors, walls and isolation/quarantine areas; cleans water and food dishes and related kennel equipment and organizes and cleans facilities.
- Assists with the placement of animals, showcasing cats and dogs to potential adopters, and helping with dog-to-dog introductions. Assists with the general public as needed and maintains excellent customer service skills.
- Feeds and waters and exercises or walks all shelter animals. Bathes and grooms animals.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Treat all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, both on and off the job; and serve as an example for staff to follow these humane actions.
- Consistently strive to stay educated on current practices and topics in the animal care field and animal welfare issues, techniques, procedures and equipment.
- Be flexible and willing to help in other departments to improve the animals’ quality of life and live release opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to get along and work effectively as part of a team, with the public, management, fellow employees, volunteers, and other agencies and groups.
- Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as Word, Excel or similar programs. Ability to learn and use animal shelter management databases.
- Willingness to go the extra mile in all duties, and inspire and support work colleagues to do the same.
- Must be punctual and able to maintain regular attendance. PT and FT positions available.
- Must be available and willing to work weekends, holidays, approved overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to and from work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent is required.
- 1 year experience in animal welfare is strongly preferred.
- Must be able to work with both dogs and cats.
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently and daily to perform duties.
- Must be able to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
- Must be able to chase or run after animals that have escaped confinement.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $12-$13 p/hour
For more information or to apply, please click HERE.