The Kauai Humane Society, Kauai’s only open admission animal shelter, seeks a responsible, hardworking individual to manage and lead our Animal Care Staff. This individual is responsible for ensuring that all the animals at KHS receive the highest level of care possible, including but not limited to feeding, cleaning, and enrichment. The Animal Care Manager also assists in health and behavior assessments, animal meet and greets, and in operating our unique and popular field trip program. Understanding animal handling and animal behavior is essential to this role.
The Animal Care Manager is part of both the Operations and Management teams, and advocates on behalf of the animals and the animal care staff. He or she must have excellent management and customer service skills. The Animal Care Manager spends a lot of time on their feet in the shelter, and must be able to assist with lifting, cleaning, and other physical tasks. He or she is also responsible for ordering shelter supplies and providing reports to our suppliers as required.
The Animal Care Manager must be committed to KHS’s mission of saving lives and providing exceptional care for our island’s animals. The best candidate for this position will have experience in, and be comfortable with, working in a shelter environment, or other work environment where stressful and challenging situations are a daily occurrence. Working positively and productively in a high stress environment is something the Manager must have the emotional and physical comfort level to achieve daily.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provide structure and direction for animal care procedures at the shelter to ensure the highest level of care. Guide and train the animal care staff on daily operations and activities.
- Work collaboratively with animal care staff and other shelter personnel to achieve a safe, healthy and sanitary environment for the animals.
- Actively participate in the evaluation process for animals being considered for placement. Train staff to participate in such evaluations.
- Work with the Director of Operations and Animal Programs Manager to assist in the planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all behavior and enrichment programs, including but not limited to; daily dog and cat enrichment, training and play groups, and “out of kennel” enrichment for dogs.
- Provide friendly professional service to the public and to coworkers in a responsive, positive, courteous, truthful and tactful manner and ensure that others working in the kennel area do so as well.
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations, interview and hire new employees and ensure timely corrective action and/or terminate employees in line with the organization’s mission, contracts, philosophy and law.
- Set an example of professionalism and be a team player.
- Communicate with the Director of Shelter Medicine to monitor medical status and animal medical needs.
- Communicate with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure volunteers are receiving appropriate training and supervision.
- Must be willing to assist in euthanasia when needed in accordance with established laws and KHS policy, and helpelp manage the cremation services provided on behalf of shelter animals and the community at large.
- Must be punctual and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules. In addition, must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
- Other duties or projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Experience in a shelter or veterinary environment is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the appropriate care for pet animals including behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques is desired.
- Ability to problem solve and apply common sense understanding to instructions is critical.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals and to write reports and meet reporting requirements is required.
- Ability to get along and work effectively as part of a team, with the public, management, fellow employees, volunteers, and other agencies and groups is essential.
- Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as Word or similar programs is required. Proficiency using PetPoint or other shelter management software is required.
- Valid Hawaii Drivers license or a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application is required.
- Euthanasia certified or ability to become certified within six months of hire.
- Must be proficient, or willing to learn proper handling of pet animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Must be able to correctly identify animal behavior and know how to act accordingly.
Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles or equipment, may be a disqualification.
The anticipated salary for this role is approximately $45,000.