Missing your 4-legged friend? Take a shelter dog on a field trip and get your doggie fix!
KHS is pleased to offer our Field Trip program to visitors and locals alike! Enjoy the natural beauty of the Garden Island, get your “dog fix,” and give a shelter dog a break from the kennels all at the same time!
“The Kauai Humane Society doesn’t loan out all their dogs for field trips, just the ones who can handle themselves like Maria. Straight out of central casting, she’s a scrappy mix between an Australian cattle dog and a terrier with maybe a dash of dingo thrown in, but after a few months stay here, she knows the drill. These excursions are a win/win for everyone: The shelter’s residents get their exercise and a change of scenery while volunteers get to hang out with locals who know the terrain on Hawaii’s oldest island.” -Amanda Ross, the Globe and Mail
How does it work?
Come to the shelter during our pick up hours, let our staff match you with an appropriate field trip buddy, and then off you go! Be sure you bring your pup back by the designated return hours.
The KHS Field Trip Program is currently on hold. Please see our COVID-19 page for updates.
Pick up: 11-1pm
Return by 5pm
We’ll give you some advice depending on where to go on the day of your adventure, depending on the dog you choose and the weather outside. Suggestions often include:
· Moalepe/Kuilau Trail
· Loop Road/Wailua Arboritum
· Kapaa Coastal Path
· Secrets Beach — please be cautious of local sea birds nesting near the hiking trail and be careful of the hike down after rains
· Mahaulepu Beach — please be cautious of local sea birds nesting nearby
· Kalapaki Beach
· Paths around the golf course behind Marriott Lihue
· Kukuiolono Golf Course Path
· Kekaha Beach
· Sleeping Giant Trail — please do not visit Sleeping Giant after a rain as the trail can get very slick!
Most beaches allow dogs unless they are county-maintained beaches or parks. Kapa`a Beach Path is the only exception.
- Participant must be at least 18 years old
- Liability waiver must be signed.
- Your credit card number will be charged a $200 deposit in the event the dog is not returned.
- Dogs must be transported in an enclosed vehicle and must be tethered to the seats (no riding in an open convertible or in the open bed of a truck).
- Dogs must be on leash at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Do I need to pay to take a dog on a field trip?
We ask a minimum donation of at least $40 to help care for our shelter animals. Your donation makes it possible to not only keep our field trip program but also to ensure our animals have the very best care until they are adopted.
- Can I keep them overnight?
Unfortunately, no. We do not allow overnight field trips.