KHS Dog Training Classes
Classes begin Saturday, June 3rd, 2017
Kauai Humane Society offers positive reinforcement dog training classes to the community five times a year. The purpose is to teach humane ways to modify unacceptable behaviors in your dog. Our goal is to teach you how to understand what your dog is trying to tell you with his body language, and how you can help him understand the meaning of your spoken words.
Online Registration HERE
Questionnaire HERE – Please bring completed questionnaire with you on your first day.
Class fee is $100.00 for each seven-week session.
All classes meet for one hour each Saturday at Kauai Humane Society. Please do not bring your dog with you to the first class.
KHS Adopter discount – class fee is only $75.00. Receive a 25% discount if you adopted your dog from Kauai Humane Society.
Class size is limited – please register early.
Vaccinations are mandatory
Please bring a copy of your dog’s current vaccination records to the first class. Puppies are required to have a minimum of one DHPP vaccination given at least 10 days prior to the first class.
This class is for puppies 8 weeks to 4 months old and meets in the classroom. Through the use of games and play your puppy will learn basic manners and may be allowed to play off-leash if there are compatible puppy play groups. Socialization, handling, house training, crate training, nipping, and chewing will be addressed. You will learn how to teach your puppy appropriate behavior, plus how to manage and redirect inappropriate behavior. You will understand how dogs learn and how you can create a foundation for a strong lifelong relationship with your pup. Puppies are required to have a minimum of one DHPP vaccination given at least 10 days prior to the class start date.
Family Dog Manners
Basic training for dogs over 4 months-old. Learn how to teach your dog to pay attention, sit and lie down, settle on a mat, come when called, walk politely on leash and simple impulse control. You’ll also learn to problem solve using positive approaches to real life situations.
Build on the skills learned in Family Dog Manners. Emphasis is on reliable responses and increased distance, duration and distraction while having fun with your dog. Class includes a safe and positive introduction to agility obstacles. Pre-requisite: Family Dog Manners or instructor permission. Your dog should be able to sit-stay, recall from 15 feet and walk politely on lead.
Policies & Guidelines
The First Class: There are no dogs allowed on the first day of class. ALL classes meet in the KHS Classroom at 9:00 a.m. Vaccinations are mandatory. Please bring a copy of your dog’s current vaccination record. Puppies are required to have a minimum of one DHPP vaccination given at least 10 days prior to the first class. During this session, we will ask you to tell us a little about you and your dog. This will help us guide you to the most appropriate class. We will complete the registration process and give you an over view of the curriculum.
What to bring to classes 2 thru 7
- Your hungry dog
- A flat or martingale (limited slip) collar or harness or Gentle Leader or Halti head collar (No prong, pinch or choke collars)
- A leash 4’ – 6’ long made of cotton, nylon or leather (no retractable leashes)
- A generous supply of small tasty treats that your dog loves
- A mat or towel large enough for your dog to lay down on
- Arriving at class – If your dog is excitable please wait and an assistant or the trainer will come out to help you and your dog enter. Thank you for your cooperation!
- Approaching other dogs – Do not allow your dog to approach or greet another dog. Owners/ handlers will maintain a minimum distance of 6 feet between dogs.
- Dogs that are ill and female dogs in heat – Owners/handlers should attend class without their dog.
- Disruptive dogs – For the protection of all canine and human participants, we reserve the right to decline entry to or remove from class, any dog who presents behavior issues that may be considered dangerous, disruptive, or that may be exacerbated by the class setting. Credit for unattended sessions may be given and we will recommend private training in these cases.
Important – Our group classes are not appropriate for reactive dogs (dogs that are aggressive to people or other dogs). If you need help, please call the Kauai Humane Society’s Behavior Helpline at 808-632-0610 ext. 116 or check out our online resources: http://kauaihumane.org/pet-behavior-resources/.
Your guests (without pets) are welcome to observe from the sitting area only.
Children in class
We encourage children to share in training the family dog with the following guidelines:
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or have permission to attend with another adult.
- Children must be supervised at all times and remain with you and your dog during training exercises. If you feel your child may become restless, please bring quiet activities they would enjoy.
- “Indoor voices” are used in the training area and classroom.
Please make sure your cell phone is turned off during class.
How to register for class
You may register in person at the front desk, by mail or online: HERE. We accept all major credit cards, cash, or personal checks made payable to Kauai Humane Society. Payment is due before the start of the first class. There is a $25.00 fee for all returned checks.
If a class is canceled:
If the class you have registered for is cancelled you will receive a full refund.
Cancellations are accepted up to the first class date. If your dog becomes ill or injured during the session you may request a pro-rated refund.
Registration form HERE
Online Registration HERE