KHS Dog Training Classes
Classes begin Saturday, March 25th, 2017
Online Registration HERE
Registration and Questionnaire HERE – Please bring filled out on your first day.
Class fee is $80.00 for each six-week session.
All classes meet for one hour each Saturday at Kauai Humane Society.
Adopter discount – class fee is only $60.00. Receive a 25% discount if you adopted your dog from Kauai Humane Society – Registration for classes must be within 6 months of adopting the dog.
Set of training classes – Are you a puppy owner interested in more classes? Sign up for all three for only $180.00 – a savings of $60.00.
Class size is limited – please register early.
This class is for puppies 8 weeks to 4 months old and meets in the classroom. Through the use of games and play your puppy will learn basic manners and play off-leash in compatible puppy play groups. Socialization, handling, house training, crate training, nipping and chewing will be addressed. You will learn how to teach your puppy appropriate behavior and how to manage and redirect inappropriate behavior. You will understand how dogs learn and how you can create a foundation for a strong lifelong relationship with your pup. Puppies are required to have a minimum of one DHPP vaccination given at least 10 days prior to the class start date.
Family Dog Manners
Basic training for dogs over 4 months-old: Learn how to teach your dog to pay attention, sit and lie down, settle on a mat, come when called, walk politely on leash and simple impulse control. You’ll also learn to problem solve using positive approaches to real life situations.
The first day of class is an over view. Please do not bring your dog.
Learn to build on the skills learned in Family Dog Manners. Emphasis is on reliable responses and increased distance, duration and distraction while having fun with your dog. Class includes a safe and positive introduction to agility obstacles. Pre-requisite: Family Dog Manners or instructor permission. Your dog should be able to sit-stay, recall from 15 feet and walk politely on lead.
Policies & Guidelines
What to bring to class
- Your hungry dog
- A flat or martingale (limited slip) collar or harness or Gentle Leader or Halti head collar (No prong, pinch or choke collars)
- A leash 4’ – 6’ long made of cotton, nylon or leather (no retractable leashes)
- A generous supply of small tasty treats that your dog loves
- A mat or towel large enough for your dog to lay down on
Vaccinations – This is mandatory
Please provide a copy of your dog’s current vaccination records when registering for a class. Puppies are required to have a minimum of one DHPP vaccination given at least 10 days prior to the first class.
- Arriving at class – If your dog is excitable please wait and an assistant or the trainer will come out to help you and your dog enter. Thank you for your cooperation!
- Approaching other dogs – Do not allow your dog to approach or greet another dog. Owners/ handlers will maintain a minimum distance of 6 feet between dogs.
- Dogs that are ill and female dogs in heat – Owners/handlers may attend class without their dog.
- Disruptive dogs – For protection of all canine and human participants, we reserve the right to decline entry to, or remove from class, any dog who presents behavior issues that may be considered dangerous, disruptive, or that may be exacerbated by the class setting. Credit for unattended sessions may be given and we will recommend private training in these cases.
Important – Our group classes are not appropriate for reactive dogs (dogs that are aggressive to people or other dogs.) If you need help, please call the Kauai Humane Society’s Behavior Helpline at 808-632-0610 ext. 116 or check out our online resources: http://kauaihumane.org/pet-behavior-resources/.
Your guests (without pets) are welcome to observe from the sitting area only.
Children in class
We encourage children to share in training the family dog with the following guidelines:
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or have permission to attend with another adult.
- Children must be supervised at all times and remain with you and your dog during training exercises. If you feel your child may become restless, please bring quiet activities they would enjoy.
- “Indoor voices” are used in the training area and classroom.
Please make sure your cell phone is turned off during class.
How to register for class
You may register in person at the front desk, by mail or online: HERE. We accept All major credit cards, cash, or personal checks made payable to Kauai Humane Society. Payment is due before the start of the first class. There is a $25.00 fee for all returned checks.
If a class is cancelled
If the class you have registered for is cancelled you will receive a full refund.
Cancellations are accepted up to the first class date. If your dog becomes ill or injured during the session you may request a pro-rated refund.
Registration form HERE
Online Registration HERE